[linux-audio-user] Re: ripping a cd slows my clock and my modem

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Thu Sep 16 06:08:56 EDT 2004

>From: robcanning <rscanning at eircom.net>
>
>i don't think this is the problem.
>anyone on the LAU list have any ideas?

Please do copy any data cdroms to disk. Does the clock slow down then?
What mainboard you have?

I have no idea why the clock slows down in my computer (MSI mainboard),
but here is my fix to the problem:

/etc/crontab:
01 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
11 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
21 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
31 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
41 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime
51 * * * * root hwclock -s --noadjfile --localtime

I have also commented out the following line in /etc/init.d/halt:

  runcmd $"Syncing hardware clock to system time" /sbin/hwclock $CLOCKFLAGS

The fix won't help with modem, sorry.

Do you have MS Windows in the same computer? Does the clock
slow down there?

Juhana