[linux-audio-user] ???

Michael T Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Thu Sep 16 10:26:27 EDT 2004

Steve Harris wrote:
 > I'm more of an ale man myself, but stout is good too, "would you like a
 > slice of my beer while we wait for yours?". And for the person spreading
 > vicious rumours earlier, beer in britain is typically served at
 > *slightly under room temperature*! Hows that for progress.

Well, it *should* be served slightly under room temperature.

However, a worrying number of pubs are now installing pump systems where
all the beer (lager, bitter, stout, ale, whatever...) is filtered and
chilled. Why brew bitter at all, if you then filter out all the taste,
fill it with gas and chill it so much you can't taste anything?

At least there are still a few decent pubs around. I graduated from York
University (that's the York in North Yorkshire, England) last year.
There's a tiny Sam Smith's pub in York (The Wellington) where a pint of
Sams (properly gravity-fed, obviously) costs £1.16! That's how to drink
when you're a student. Cheaper than the student bars, and much better
tasting.

Also, I've seen billboard advertisements recently for Fosters - which
claim that it is 'specially brewed to taste better cold'. Isn't that
just how all lager works? It tastes foul when it's warm, so you have to
chill it. Nice on the beach in the summer though.

Michael Nelson