[linux-audio-user] building fst fails at make install step

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Sep 17 10:39:19 EDT 2004

Luke Yelavich wrote:

> The mkinstalldirs file in the tarball is missing. Either grab this file from
> another file, or search through your autoconf files for a copy of this file.
> found in /usr/share/automake-ver where ver is the version of automake you
> have installed.

Luke,
    First, thanks for the help. It's working now. I wouldn't have gotten
there without your inputs.

    Now, I was not able to quite understand what you meant above but,
since fst_1.5 works and fst_1.6 doesn't, I thought I'd find a copy of
mkinstalldirs in the fst_1.5 directory somewhere and get that. I was
surprised to find that it wasn't there either.

    I then did a compare of the two Makefiles and it turned out that the
fst_1.6 Makefile had two extra lines in it concerning mkinstalldirs. As
an experiment I commented one out and moved the other since a comment
seemed to upset vim. Now fst_1.6 builds!

    I do not understand how fst_1.5 and fst_1.6 really generate these
Makefiles but clearly there are differences.

>>There is the one mistake in the instructions on the QuickToot page where
>>it seems to tell me to run fixheaders from the wrong place, but I
>>haven't figured out how to get past this.
>

> You need to get the vst header files, and put them in the vst subdirectory
> of the tarball. Then from the vst directory, run ../fixheaders. However, there
> is more you have to do to the headers. I am not at my audio box right now, and
> can't remember off the top of my head.

    Yes - your instructions were correct, and this is what I was doing.
My comment was more that Dave's instructions didn't tell you to cd to
vst before doing ../fixheaders. That's all.

    So I now have 1.6 built (I guess...) and I'll see if I can get
jack_fst and Ardour rebuilt to take advantage of this.

Cheers,
Mark