[linux-audio-user] terratec aureon 5.1 usb and jack

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Sep 17 15:27:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 14:44, Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
> | apparent rate = 48000
> | creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|256|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
> | control device hw:1
> | configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> `----

256 frames at 48KHZ is a period time of ~5ms.  This is really pushing it
for a USB device.  It might work with a low latency kernel.

> Kernel 2.4.25 with CAT_SETPCAP patch but no low latency patch.

This is no good.  You *need* a kernel patched for low latency.

> BTW, I have no crackling sound using jack with the Intel. Hopefully
> someone can help me with my problem.

A PCI card is several orders of magnitude faster than USB.  Best case
interrupt response latency with USB is about 1ms.  With PCI it's about 5
usecs.  Regardless, since you aren't running a low latency kernel, you
will get xruns triggered by random system activity.

Lee