[linux-audio-user] LADSPA - is there any concept of plugin automation?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Fri Sep 17 18:26:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:50:44AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Just wondering...
> If there is then is it supported in Ardour or any other apps? Jamin has
> something called scenes which I do not understand yet, but it's not
> LADSPA it's an app.

I'm not sure exactly what automation means, and I know Mark was mainly
interested in ardour, but with ecasound there are a variety of controls
that can be connected to plugin parameters.

For instance, you can attach a sine oscillator to a filter's cutoff
frequency and then attach another oscillator to the frequency control of
the first.

There are generic oscillators that take a series of point-in-time and
value pairs. So you can create an arbitrary envelope for parameter
control.

plugin parameters can also be controlled via midi CCs. So, perhaps one
could record the CC's in a sequencer, have the sequencer output to a
virmidi device and have ecasound listen to the virmidi device for the CC
changes.

I imagine this is not what Mark is looking for, but just incase anyone
else is interested ... I use these things in scripts and really have a
lot of fun with it.

-Eric Rz.