[linux-audio-user] ices-jack pico-howto

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sat Sep 18 18:22:27 EDT 2004

hi everyone!

in case you were wondering how to get ices-jack to stream your jack
graphs out on the net, here's a quick howto:

browse svn.xiph.org, get the following modules from /trunk:

ao, vorbis, ogg, ogg2, theora, speex, vorbis-tools, ogg-tools
(do this even if you have ogg packages from your distro installed,
it won't do no harm and makes sure you've got the latest'n'greatest)

there's nothing interesting to configure afaik, so you can compile
them (in that order) without interaction:

for i in ao vorbis ogg ogg2 theora speex vorbis-tools ogg-tools; do
svn co http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/$i; cd $i; ./configure && make
install ; cd .. ; done

from icecast/branches/kh, check out

libshout, icecast, ices

again, not really anything to configure, so the for-loop can do the
grunt work...

now fire up icecast, fire up ices, connect it to your jack graph,
and the fun starts.

the default config files are extensively commented, but here's my
config, in case you need some more inspiration:
http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/ices.xml
http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/icecast.xml
(the source and server run on different hosts, and icecast runs
chrooted and as user icecast)

btw, a graph with an ogg edge between ices-jack and xmms-jack
vertices makes a nice delay effect :) if you use feedback, there's
interesting sound deterioration due to repeated
ogg-encoding/decoding and noise buildup. here's me toying around
with my bass and such a setup:
http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/netjam.ogg

have fun

jörn