[linux-audio-user] same kernel and big differences between mandrake and debian?

rico r.eric at free.fr
Mon Sep 20 13:55:01 EDT 2004

Le lundi 20 Septembre 2004 19:39, Austin a écrit :
> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 13:10 +0200, rico wrote:
> > How comes there is such a difference between two system that uses the
> > same kernel and config?
> > Where should i look since the kernel and modules are the same (are
> > they?)?
>
> By using the "stock" kernel, so you mean you compiled it from vanilla,
> or do you mean the standard kernel included with each distro.
>
> If the latter, I assure you that the Mandrakelinux and Debian kernels
> will be VERY different.  We have a few hundred patches in our kernel.
>
> If you're compiling from vanilla, there shouldn't be such a defference.
> Maybe different alsa or glibc version?

Sorry for the imprecision, both system use the vanilla kernel (preemption
disabled) from kernel.org, both are compiled for an amd processor with the
same .config file.
The difference is such that  on debian it's just impossible to use band in a
box with wine whereas it works great on mandrake!
> Keep in mind that Mandrakelinux is i586 optimized, except glibc which is
> i686 optimized.  Debian is only i386 AFAIK.
>
> Austin

Maybe this is the point but i don't know how to solve it.
I know that the glibc version differ between mandrake and debian i'll
investigate that.

I wonder if there is a place somwhere in mandrake's distro, where they tweaked
something to better the sound system ...(alsa option, IRQ fiddling, or
something...)

Thanks for your advice
Rico