[linux-audio-user] MIDI on alsa with SBLIve

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Tue Sep 21 10:50:24 EDT 2004

Timidity is practically unusable with Alsa on my box.  In other ways
it's only slightly creaky (it's a 3-4 year old AMD 755 box).  But
there are too many dropouts when I play a multichannel MIDI file for
me to use it to proofread my publishing.  (Under OSS timidity was
fine, but regular readers may remember, my OSS broke when I upgraded
to kernel 2.4.26, and I could only get help fixing ALSA, so I'm
running ALSA).

So I'm trying to set up the hardware MIDI on the SBLive.  I'm
following the directions at
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-10.html> and things look
normal.  When I run "playmidi -a score.midi", it looks like it's
playing, but there isn't any sound.  (Yes, the speaker is plugged into
the right place.)  I've looked at the mixer settings
and don't see anything obvious to change.

So can anyone give me any advice either about how to get the hardware
synth to work or how to get Timidity to work better?  One part of my
score is a quarter note longer than the others, and I need to find out
where this happens.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011