[linux-audio-user] how to record streaming audio?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Tue Sep 21 15:39:44 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:52:36AM -0700, airplays55 at yahoo.com wrote:
> I want to run a sound recorder like audacity to record
> what is coming thru my soundcard when playing
> streaming audio thru xmms.
>
> However audacity can't open the audio port /dev/dsp
> when streaming audio is playing.  This is on knoppix
> 3.4 using the OSS driver.
>
> Would using ALSA make this possible?

yes. you would need to set up the dmix plugin in .asoundrc.

Another alternative is using jackd enabled applications. For instance,
you can play the stream with alsaplayer and record with ecasound. Or
even play and record with the same ecasound ... I think, since ecasound
is just calling ogg123 or mpg123 and communicating over pipes with them,
I think it can pass the stream URL to them and take their output as
input, then write out to a file (via lame or oggenc if that's what you
want).

I don't use xmms so I don't know if it has a jack plugin.

If your soundcard and its particular oss driver supports it you may be
able to open the oss device twice by referencing different devices in
/dev/, i.e. /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1. But, I have no direct experience
with that since I have never used oss drivers.

-Eric Rz.