[linux-audio-user] using cat to send a MIDI string ?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas plcl at telefonica.net
Wed Sep 22 02:01:58 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I'm trying to send a MMC message to Ardour to set it up to receive MIDI
> time code. Apparently Ardour will follow MTC but it has to receive an
> MMC Start message first. So far I'm still unsuccessful, even with your
> suggestions, but I'll keep at it.

You can use "amidi", from "alsa-utils":
$ amidi -S 'F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7'
sends an XG Reset to the default port; `man amidi` for details.

To can use "echo", too:
$ echo -ne '\xf0\x7f\x01\x06\x02\xf7' > /dev/midi01

BTW, you can try a MIDI realtime message "start" like this:
$ echo -ne '\xfa' > /dev/midi

The message "f0 7f f7 06 02 f7" is not a valid MMC command, because the
device-id 0xf7 is also the EOX status byte. It should be a number between 00
and 0x7f.

Regards,
Pedro