[Jackit-devel] Re: [linux-audio-user] ices-jack pico-howto

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Sep 21 19:50:52 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 22:18, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> > Other than ices and icecast, do both the icecast box and the ices box
> > need all of the svn packages you list above?
>
> the icecast box does not need the *-tools. (nor does ices strictly
> speaking, but they are nice to have). i described a "bleeding edge"
> best-of-xiph.org setup. if you don't want to play with video or
> very-low-bandwidth speech streaming, you can omit the speex and
> theora packages as well as flac. ices/icecast check for them at
> compile time - i wanted all bells and whistles, but if the libs are
> not present, those features will be left out with no problems.

If you are taking from svn, then you need the autoconf etc tools, but if
you are using tarballs then the configure script will be already built
so it won't be needed in that case.

> you may even get away with using your distro's libvorbis, although i
> think ices-kh does require ogg2 and won't compile with plain old ogg.

no, ogg2 is not required, and AFAIK the vorbis codec may not be working
with it just yet.

> when you do this, consider that under ideal circumstances, re-ogging
> a pcm stream that has been ogg-encoded before will not add new
> encoding artifacts, unless you reduce the bitrate.

I don't think you can state that in general, as the second encoding will
operate on different pcm input.  Given the same encoder settings it's
unlikely to loose much.

karl.