[linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Sep 28 08:27:20 EDT 2004

brad stafford wrote:
> I have a Delta 1010 and I'm running an AMD Barton 2.6 with 5 PCI
> slots. The question is what the heck are IRQ 16 and 22?

IRQ 16 is the 17th interrupt.
IRQ 22 is the 23th interrupt.

> I moved the sound and ethernet cards around to get them to 16 and
> 22 as they used to be eth0 on 21 and ICE1712 on 22.
>
> [brad at mars brad]$ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>  16:          0   IO-APIC-level  ICE1712
>  22:         21   IO-APIC-level  eth0

Why? What's the problem?

> Is 16 like the equivalent of IRQ 3 since it's following 15?

No, it would be correct to say that IRQ 16 is IRQ 16.  ;-)

The days of XT-compatible interrupt controllers with no more than 16
interrupts are fortunately past.  The interrupts above 15 are used for
PCI devices.

> I did turn off USB support in the BIOS.

USB interrupts usually don't cause noticeable latencies.

HTH
Clemens