[linux-audio-user] Midi/USB "control" board question

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Sep 28 14:43:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 07:57, Michael T Nelson wrote:
> Zachris Trolin wrote:
> Does anyone think there would be interest (let's say, amongst Linux
> Audio users, for example?)
>
> What sort of features might a user be interested in? I could add custom
> features to the device if there's anything special anyone might want?
> How about a joystick that sends MIDI control messages for two parameters
> (can be mapped to something complicated in software?)

Yes, I know at least two or three people who would buy it right away if
you could make a USB midi control surface with some real, BIG knobs and
a BIG DJ crossfader.  Most of them use Ableton Live on Windows, I am
sure they will switch to Linux one there is an app as good as Live, but
even the Ableton branded hardware has crappy little knobs and sliders.
For now we use M-Audio Oxygens, but even those knobs are tiny compared
to what is on a real MIDI keyboard or DJ mixer.

We have looked high and low for a MIDI control surface with knobs and
sliders like you would get on even a cheap DJ mixer, there is no such
device.  If you have ever seen a DJ (like the kind with with turntables)
work a crossfader then you know what I mean, everything on the market
now would just break off in your hand after half a set.

Lee