[linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 21:16:50 EDT 2004

brad stafford wrote:

>I just tonight switched from the Planet CCRMA RH9 to FC1. The install
>was purely from the CDROMs dated 4/25/2004.
>
>I've seen all the latest posts about interrupts and did the required
>reading on the internet. I really managed to get RH9 cleaned up but in
>FC1 I'm seeing something a little different. I have a Delta 1010 and I'm
>running an AMD Barton 2.6 with 5 PCI slots. The question is what the
>heck are IRQ 16 and 22? I moved the sound and ethernet cards around to
>get them to 16 and 22 as they used to be eth0 on 21 and ICE1712 on 22. I
>have ACPI turned off as a service but don't have a "disable" option in
>the BIOS. I did turn off USB support in the BIOS.
>
>Is 16 like the equivalent of IRQ 3 since it's following 15?
>
>[brad at mars brad]$ cat /proc/interrupts
>           CPU0
>  0:      81690    IO-APIC-edge  timer
>  1:         75    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
>  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
>  9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
> 12:        836    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
> 14:      10789    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
> 15:        735    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
> 16:          0   IO-APIC-level  ICE1712
> 22:         21   IO-APIC-level  eth0
>NMI:          0
>LOC:      81633
>ERR:          0
>MIS:          0
>
>I'm getting 5.8 msec latency in JACK with 128 frames/period at 44100 and
>2 periods/buffer. A huge improvement over the 46.1 msec using RH9 with
>capabilities.
>
>Thanks, Brad.

    You can add the "acpi=off" option to the kernel argument boot line
in grub.conf like so:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi
acpi=off nolapic rhgb

That will get rid of interrupts 16 and 22 and move your soundcard and
ethernet card to *maybe* a more desirable position like IRQ 10 & 11. But
after reading the other posts in this thread I question if it really
makes any difference.

                    Rick B