[linux-audio-user] xf86config no_accel = yes but sucks bad

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 29 12:36:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:24:58AM -0700, R Parker wrote:
> I'm running an ICP hardware raid controler with raid
> level 5 and reiserfs. In addition to that, I run an
> rsync mirror to an IDE drive. I'm considering
> switching from raid 5 to 0 because I do see read
> problems and maybe some of the xruns occur during
> write. The read problems appear with Ardour while
> doing REW or F/FWD seeks and the messages are
> something about disk read access error.

Try using something other than reiser too, it has been known to cause
realtime problems in some kernels.

> I've tried to google up some hints for performance
> tuning with hardware raid but haven't found any
> obvious suggestions. With the mirror running every 24
> hours, I can probably afford to forgo the hardware
> redundancy.

The stripe size is the one that matters most IME. With hardware you
shouldn't be seeing any performacen problems with RAID5 (or with software
for that matter). It is possible that the card or driver is hogging the
PCI bus though.

If its a server motherboard, some of the PCI slots may belong to different
PCI buses, if yours is like that you could try putting the RAID controller
on a bus of its own. I dont know how to tell in software, but the manual
should say.

- Steve