[linux-audio-user] Is everyone sick of interrupts yet?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Sep 29 17:52:54 EDT 2004

Last Wednesday 29 September 2004 15:41, Joe Hartley was like:
> Brad, I'm curious:  did you stop and start JACK after you closed out
> JAMin and/or Ardour?  I did a session over the weekend where I had a
> problem with Ardour, and would have to exit.  If I didn't restart JACK
> as well, I ran into issues.  (I wish I could be clearer on this, but I
> left my notes at home regarding this.)

This is a phenomenon I'm familiar with. I have no idea of the technicalities,
it's generally the rule that once JACK has got seriously out of step, it
needs restarting to get it play ball. It usually recovers after the first
dozen, but once it's gone over the edge, there's generally no getting it
back.

Yes I'm using a low-latency patched kernel and my system is averagely well
optimised. (Celeron 600 + 256M RAM)

Brad, the way out of optimisationitis is to Actually Make Some Music -
conceive some grand piece and realise it, put your energies into seeing what
you can do with what you've got. I just managed to master an entire album
with JAMin on _my_ hardware !:-) Suffice it to say it was a fine a thing as
having to close all the dialogs in QJackCtl and stop gkrellm before I was
xrun free - all those updating monitors really make a difference on my
system. I'd already closed down everything else I could think of.

It would be impossible without a low-lat kernel, I'm sure, but even that does
require a certain amount of CPU headroom ;-]

Apologies for technical fluffiness.

cheers

tim hall