[linux-audio-user] Starts with a pop

Reuben Martin MartinR at jbu.edu
Thu Sep 30 00:11:32 EDT 2004

>This is something that has bugged me ever since I built my Linux DAW.
> When I boot up, when I start jack, when I open a web page with
>Flash, when I get a licq message -- anything that uses my audio
>driver, I hear a fairly loud low-end pop.
>
>Is this common?  Is it a known issue I can fix?  I figure it's a
>problem somewhere in the following (backwards) chain:

I get this as well (DA converter -> RME DIGI9632-PAD SPDIF out -> ALSA -> JACK)

But it only happens the first time I start Jack, after that it doesn't do it anymore _unless_ I change which device on the card is being used by JACK.

My guess is that devices on sound cards have a default sample rate, bit rate or some other type of setting and when something accesses the device and changes one of those settings, it results in that pop sound.

-Reuben