[linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 30 10:46:04 EDT 2004

Greg Reddin writes:
> --- Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie at rfa.org> wrote:
> > Am I just a complete nut? (which I'm ready to admit is entirely
> > possible ;) ) or does no one else see ecasound as an alternative
> > for
> > getting work done? it is stable and fairly complete, reasonably
> > well
> > documented ... it's just different ... Why is it that having a
> > "viable
> > professional <foo> package" means having a GUI that looks like
> > something
> > from the commercial world?
The need for scrubbing, I suppose.

> Well, if we're going to go there, then we could still use ardour,
> right?  I mean ardour is MVC and has a lib and GUI, right?  So
> couldn't we put some other GUI (or non-gui interface) on top of
> ardour-lib and use that?
I fervently hope for this. Particularly for a choice of GTK 2 (or the
forthcoming QT4 -- but that's rather far afield).

The accessibility support that comes in the box with GTK now would not
only make it a viable option for the eyes-free user like me, but would
provide all kinds of percs--like everything you might need to script,
etc. It would certainly also obviate any need to update Ardour KS (which
was a noble thought but doomed from the start to go out of sync).

I guess I'm trying to make everyone aware that the ATK choice matters
from the U-I point of view.