[linux-audio-user] DAW Dillema -- Seeking Advice

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 30 14:41:20 EDT 2004

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki writes:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:36:54AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > I just want to tahnk everyone who has responded to Greg's post.
> > Speaking as one for whom looking at output is simply not an option (I am
> > blind), it's highly encouraging to read all the comments that support
> > what does work in the non-graphical environment. My choices may be
> > biologically based, but it's nice to learn that others find occasions to
> > make the same choices on purely musical and functional grounds.
>
> hear, hear. Perhaps I'm making too much of a stink about it, but after
> all, we are working with sound, not light.
Well, and we're also working with bits and bytes at root. Everything
else is artificially created.

Still, it's fascinating to consider how we all bring the total being
into the act of making music. For me that has meant learning to do more
by listening rather than by reading scores, for example.

Someone mentioned using the visual UI to organize and select the raw
sonic materials for the final composition--the process of choosing among
them. This is most certainly a very different thing when you do it all
from meory. Even good file organizing strategies don't yield the same
functionality--though they might come close, I suppose.

--

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup

janina at freestandards.org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040