[linux-audio-user] Errors loading ALSA for HDSP

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 30 19:14:10 EDT 2004

I'm attempting to get my musical activities squared away on a new dual
Opteron system. I'm currently running single processor with the (almost
stock) Fedora Core 2 kernel, 2.6.8-1.541.

I have alsa 1.06a (including the tools) installed. I compiled these from
the CCRMA sources.

All the modules appear to be loaded:

snd_seq                80832  0
snd_hdsp               68492  0
snd_rawmidi            30116  1 snd_hdsp
snd_seq_device          9356  2 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm               127116  1 snd_hdsp
snd_timer              36104  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10760  1 snd_hdsp
snd                    70664  7
snd_seq,snd_hdsp,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
soundcore              10593  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11024  2 snd_hdsp,snd_pcm

However, I cannot start alsa:

service alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-hdsp                             [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1134: No
soundcards found...
                                                           [FAILED]

If I run hdsploader I get either no message, or perhaps a message about
an inability to access a certain memory range. Of course, as I write
this message, I can't seem to get that error up.

'll try and capture that message in a followup, in case this is at all
helpful. Needless to say, I'm hoping someone has a suggestion that will
resolve this.