[linux-audio-user] ALSA - Switching playback streams between devices

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Apr 2 14:32:09 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 18:55 +0100, David Beaumont wrote:
> Now firstly, if there's a better way to do this (Jack for example) then fine,
> this is only a guess on my part.

That's absolute overkill.  Just get one of the SBLive or Audigy models
with the LiveDrive.  Use JACK and ALSA 1.0.9 or later, and with the new
multichannel feature in the driver (developed by yours truly) you get 16
JACK output ports corresponding to the 16 FX buses on the card, which
are turn connected to the outputs.  All emu10k1 devices, starting with
the SBLive PCI 512 have 7.1 channels of SPDIF out and up to 7.1 channels
of analog out.

For example, with my ancient SBLive platinum, which I bought to put in
the first computer I ever built (celeron 300A @450, woo!), I have 6
channels of analog out: the front and rear on the back of the card and
the headphone out on the livedrive.  If I had SPDIF receiver(s) I would
get 2 more digital channels from the livedrive.  My Audigy2 ZS has 10
analog channels (7.1 + headphone out).

It's possible to use the full 7.1 SPDIF out without the livedrive or
anything, but requires some hardware hacking.  See the kX driver forums
for some examples.  Any config mentioned in that forum should now be
achievable with the ALSA driver.

Lee

PS If you find this useful please consider a PayPal donation ;-)