Commercial VS NonCommercial Creative Commons [WAS: Re: [linux-audio-user] more odd music]

MarC marc_contrib at ramonvinyes.es
Sun Apr 3 17:29:57 EDT 2005

Hello

En/na Ryan Gallagher ha escrit:

>>Hi, I have one question: are your songs under a Creative Commons License?
>>I found them very interesting material for remixes and other creations.
>>

>I didn't read the earlier thread about copyright, but in this case I'd
>apply; Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0

I don't know wheter it is OT or not...
I have one dilema. What do you think it is better NonCommercial or
Commercial Creative Commons License?

I think that NonCommercial has no sense for comunity made songs. If you
use it to make something complex (that's the point of working with the
community), then if you want to ever sell your records, it seems to me
that you will never find the way to pay (or at least contact to ask
permission to) all the contributors...

On the other hand, if I release something as allowing Commercial uses I
hate the possibility of knowing that maybe one day (let's say something
stupid) M$ will use my song without paying anything to me or asking me
permission, to market one of their become-a-slave-products.

Maybe we could think of something new as "CC Attribution-NonCommercial
2.0 (contact the authors for commercial purposes but if you are a music
artist contributing to this song, feel free to use it commercially if
you add something new to it and you sell it to people who will only
listen it (not businesses using the song for other purposes)"

what do you think of it?

I raise this issue because I'm starting a musical project and I would
like to never release any work that could end like
http://www.lokitorrent.com/ when the people shares it, I would like to
use other musicians works (and I can't afford to pay them for such work
now) and I would finally like to win fairly some money making good music
(without this money I will never be able to buy decent instruments)

is it an utopia?