Commercial VS NonCommercial Creative Commons [WAS: Re: [linux-audio-user] more odd music]

MarC marc_contrib at ramonvinyes.es
Tue Apr 5 11:09:04 EDT 2005

En/na Wolfgang Woehl ha escrit:

>MarC <marc_contrib at ramonvinyes.es>:
>

>>I raise this issue because I'm starting a musical project and I would
>>like to never release any work that could end like
>>http://www.lokitorrent.com/ when the people shares it, I would like
>>to use other musicians works (and I can't afford to pay them for such
>>work now) and I would finally like to win fairly some money making
>>good music (without this money I will never be able to buy decent
>>instruments)
>>
>>is it an utopia?
>>

>Marc, I'm flabbergasted. This is 2005. There's no way you could prevent
>people from copying or sharing things in the digital domain. DRM is a
>joke. The industry that promotes it is a joke. The business model is
>gone, don't you know that?

Yes, I agree that the business *model* is gone but I continue paying for
music shows and I continue buying CD's at the stores and I like it. I
have more freedom to listen to the music before paying for it and I like
this, but I continue paying for it whenever I can, because I feel I must
pay for well done jobs (that's the way they will continue making music
for me, in my opinion).
Maybe a "business model" based only in massive CD sales based on stupid
marketing is totally gone but "sincerely paying for good live/studio
music" is still valid in my opinion.

>How can anyone *own* music? How did Bach do it? How did Capitol Records
>do it? The only way to make that claim to some extent real were
>technical limitations -- and those are gone for good.
>

>Coming up with something like G-C-E7 is a complex process, sure ;) Hell,
>make it Bbmaj9-Gm7-F/C-C-D/C. But do you really intend to say this is
>yours? That you invented this, put it into the world, out of the blue?
>Isolated from everything you've ever heard or experienced in your life?
>Originality someone? What is that?

First, please notice that I'm talking about
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/deed.en
in the worst case. That is not "owning" strictly the song but do not
allowing others to make business with your work without getting anything
back from them (I hope this wouldn't be true for people like you and me,
but it could be true for some big aggressive companies. You already know
them...)
On the other hand, protecting a stupid repetitive poppy/blues melody
would be silly (that would be my case). But I don't know if real classic
compositors would think the same with their works (they spend some time
making them... don't you think it is hard sometimes?).
What I wanted to protect from agressive companies, in my case, was the
result of working together during several years with a keyboard player,
a bass, a singer and a drummer to produce some reasonable mix of well
played music. Do you think a score is enough for you to play Keane's
songs or Massive Attack's songs for example? (I give an example of some
popular music but which requires some hard hidden work in my opinion).

>Share your stuff and you will get back more than you ever dreamed of. To
>make money it is, in my experience, fairly promising to put your
>family's estate to sensible use or, in the lack of an estate, work. The
>clownesque, inspired, spiritual, grotesque, old-fashioned, great field
>of making music will probably get you all *but* money.

Yes of course I'm going to share it at least under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/deed.en
I would like to sum up all this saying that even that I don't rely on
music for earning my living, I expect from people to reward me when I
produce something good in all fields and I when somebody who is rolling
in money (and in the future will ask me money for his/her work) refuses
to give me back something, I get angry.
(I understand money as a simple abstract exchange of work, not talking
about marketing rip offs...)

for software GPL is good for me because a company which uses it, will
have to release its code under the GPL. However with music, they could
use it for a malboro's advert without any problem and without giving
anything back to the comunity. I don't agree with this.

>I'm a bit ashamed to see that all this sounds quite patronizing. Excuse
>me, Marc. This a patronizing day and it transfers.

>Wolfgang

don't worry, I don't feel patronized... lol XD
It's always good to hear about other opinions in order to "evaluate" my
convictions...