[linux-audio-user] Skype and Alsa

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Apr 4 21:37:15 EDT 2005

Anyone been able to use Skype with Alsa apps? When I try to start
Jack-Rack with Skype running Jack-Rack comes back with an error:

===
Could not open ALSA sequencer, aborting
No such file or directory
Make sure you have configure ALSA properly and that
/proc/asound/seq/clients exists and contains relevant devices.
====

Qjackctl also comes back with an error that it can't open ALSA sequencer
as a client.

I traced it down to Skype. When I tried: alsasound stop (during or after
stopping Skype,) I received:

----
[root at ives bfuller]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
Shutting down sound driverERROR: Module snd_ice1712 is in use
ERROR: Module snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx is in use by snd_ice1712
ERROR: Module snd_ak4xxx_adda is in use by snd_ice1712,snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx
ERROR: Module snd_cs8427 is in use by snd_ice1712
ERROR: Module snd_ac97_codec is in use by snd_ice1712
ERROR: Module snd_mixer_oss is in use
ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_ice1712,snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd_i2c is in use by snd_ice1712,snd_cs8427
ERROR: Module snd_mpu401_uart is in use by snd_ice1712
ERROR: Module snd_rawmidi is in use by snd_mpu401_uart
ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_rawmidi
ERROR: Module snd is in use by
snd_ice1712,snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_cs8427,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_i2c,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
                                                           [  OK  ]
----

Even after I quit Skype, Qjackctl won't start at all.

One time, when I found the Skype bkg process, I killed it and it made
everything work. But, I could only find it once! Strange.

In the Hand/Headsets settings (options) the "Audio devices" are devices
on my PC: /dev/dsp. But the sequencer is /dev/snd/seq.

Anyway, Skype has been handy for me for remote session directing (better
than a phone, and not all studios have ISDN.) If I could get it to work
on Linux (rather than windows) I would be much happier.

brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124