[linux-audio-user] Jacklaunch vs. asoundrc jack plugin

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 6 16:22:12 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-04 at 20:19 -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Hence, I am just wondering at this point whether asoundrc jack is still in
> the testing phase (some of the errors that apps reported trying to use jack
> plug were due to inability to probe some info from the alsa driver which
> implies possible incompleteness of the implementation or weird probing from
> the app's side) and also whether anyone has had better luck than myself
> using either of these with audacity, sweep, and other non-jackified, yet
> important Linux audio apps via either of the aforementioned ways.

Pretty much anything that crams blocking IO into Jack will always be
dodgy.  It might work a little bit sometimes maybe, if you're lucky.

Libjackasyn, bio2jack, and all that stuff are useful hacks sometimes,
but they're just that - useful hacks.  They aren't, and will never be,
suitable for pro audio work.

Like you said, what needs to be done is to properly jackify these apps.

-DR-