[linux-audio-user] strange noise at hdd access with mpg123

Gregor Hyneck gregor at hyneck.de
Fri Apr 8 10:30:19 EDT 2005

Hi

I'm running an old PC as a standalone mp3-player.
The system is very silent except the hdd (new Samsung SV1604N, 160GB, 5400UPM)
access when running mpg123. This produces a monotone, awful noise.
With other mp3-player like xmms there's no problem.
But the irmp3 (audio jukebox-daemon) on the mp3-player depends on mpg123.
I tried other versions of mpg123 and mpg321 - no improvement.
Can I solve the problem with another hdd? Any other recommendation?