[linux-audio-user] [Fwd: [mtg] freesound 'official' opening...]

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sat Apr 9 17:16:21 EDT 2005

Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt at punkass.com> writes:

> Creative Commons licenses substitute the GPL licenses for artistic
> works.

When going to cc sites, you also find music under cc licenses which
are not in the true spirit of freedom, in my opinion.

I find it very nice to listen to and to remix free music.

Music purely motivated by the need to communicate through music is
what I want to listen to.

Being able to play with an a cappella and another instrumental, etc is
really fun and enjoying. Imagine the joy of mixing whatever you feel
like in an instant. A new beat you made yourself with an old melody
and a an ancient a cappella. Learning how a special sound was done is
very interesting. The really big thing here is being able to play with
music, text, video and all other forms of art.

I do recognize the need to make money, but I think it's possible to do
this with free culture. The community plays a big part in this, being
able to spread new music and reach people. I would certainly donate to
the people I really enjoy listening to. I do this all the time with
free software projects. I still have not found a single piece of free
music from a group or a person that I would donate to, though, but I
believe it's out there. Thats why I listen to as much free music that
I can, to find the sound I'm looking for. That's why it would be nice
with a free software inet stream to just hook into.

If something comes in the way of me having great fun and being able to
be creative and play with different kinds of music pieces, I rather
choose away with it.

I really like this free music culture; I think it will get more people
to express themselves with music.

> UNIX philosophy says that applications should "do one thing, do it
> well".

This is the philosophy I live and breath by, but how does it relate to
anything I said in this thread. I always promote modularity and
simplicity in everything I write related to software.

Esben Stien is b0ef at esben-stien.name
         http://www.
          irc://irc.                /%23contact
          [sip|iax]: