[linux-audio-user] hello gentoo? speed up please...

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Sun Apr 10 16:39:39 EDT 2005

> Anybody have any tips on what to look at to tweak it?  Seems like it should
> do better than that... I didn't see it as a problem until in the last few
> days I started playing with playing softsynths live directly into Ardour -
> you've gotta be running at -p 1024 or there's a latency that screws up your
> playing - at 8192 it's a downright 8th note delay...
>
> Here's some vitals that I can think of:
>
> OS:  gentoo 2.6.6-rc1 kernel (alsa built in)

positively ancient! emerge --sync && emerge gentoo-sources
will get you a 2.6.12-rc5 or whatever is the freshest..

secondly, disable OSS and ALSA in the kernel config (its ok to leave the toplevel 'sound' box checked) and emerge alsa-driver (to avoid compiling all drivers add a line to /etc/make.conf eg: ALSA_CARDS="mia,intel8x0,intel8x0m,usb-audio,virmidi"

if theres still issues, you could try mm-sources (which may have the realtime stuff merged) or the realtime stuff floating around..havent had a need here as the stock gentoo kernel works fine w/ 64 & 128 sample buffer...