[linux-audio-user] Eek nice hefty crash action...

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Mon Apr 11 06:08:31 EDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:57:50 -0700
"Aaron Trumm" <aaron at nquit.com> wrote:

>So it reset, I logged in, tried the same thing again.
>This time Ardour crashed and exited.
>So I went to start it up again and it flat wouldn't. ...

How frustrating, hope you can work it out.

A few things that I would do in most cases:

Turn the machine off for a few minutes to be sure that all hardware is reset internally, then try to see if it boots.  Maybe check out the bios settings, but prolly not change anything.

If it hangs again, get out one of the knoppix live type CDs and see if it boots that?  If it boots a linux kernel there, then go back to original and try to boot it into single mode form the grub command line(if you use grub).

If you can get into the hard disk either way, then run a check of the hard disks for errors, and check the the startup files.

If it doesn't want to boot any kind of kernel it's probably a hardware fault.  Time to get out a copy of memtest and run it all night if you can.  It also may be time to go into the bios settings and reset everything there to defaults.

Still errors(again, this is all generic)?  Make sure the power cord is unplugged, or if there is a switch on the back, that the power supply is off.  Then go into the computer and make sure everything is in it's place and no heat sinks are gummed up with dust.  Then turn it back on with the cover off and be sure all fans are running.

Little things I've had problems with on computers:

Flakey power supplies.  Some of the hardest problems to track down ended up there.

Memory, test it by using only one stick at a time(don't discard, see next).

Timing(memory bus, etc),  too many ram sticks for the memory bus to handle at one time.  Try tuning the bios?

Dust on proccessor heat sink or south bridge, etc.  Throws timing off there too.

Maybe one of the cards in the machine went poof?  That's easy to troubleshoot too.

.... Idon't know if this will help you much, as I said:  It's kinda generic.