[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Concerning libfst, vstserver, and dssi-vst

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Apr 11 14:00:43 EDT 2005

Hi Kjetil:

  Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your insights. Some further
comments:

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

>Vstserver does actually works very fine with newer versions of wine, at
>least the ones I have tried. But for compiling up vstserver, you
>need the 9.12.2003 version. And worse, the 9.12.2003 version doesn't
>work with newer versions of Linux, or something like that. (Ie. the
>workaround is that you first have to install wine 9.12.2003 to be able to
>compile vstserver, then install a newer versions of wine. The plugins will
>then use the newest version of wine).
>
>I think there exist a patch or something for the 9.12.2003 version of wine
>to make it compile with newer versions of linux (not sure which part).
>If anyone has such a patch, it would be nice if someone sent it to me.
>I'm still on Redhat 8 myself, so I don't know what the problem is exactly.

I'm mostly running RH9, occasionally FC3 and Demudi. I've only seriously
tested VST support under RH9. I can easily imagine other problems rising
from GCC updates.

>I think dssi-vst looks very nice too (although I haven't tried it), and
>its very similar to the way vstserver works. It should not be much work to
>make vsti, ladspavst and k_vst~ work with dssi-vst instead of vstserver.
>But I don't have the time / other more interesting projects.

Well, at least the hope of continuation is there. Some plugins work
under vsti that will not run under jack_fst.

>It would be nice if the three projects (or at least fst and
>dssi-vst) was coordinated to use only _one_ version of wine, and that
>this version of wine is downloaded from one place, for example a
>sourceforge project place.
>
>But for this to happen, some person needs to step up, set up a sourceforge
>account, do some coding, coordinate the coders, release things, do
>some work. It might not seem like Thorben, Paul, Chris or myself is
>the right person right now. Perhaps there is some coder with some free
>time that wants to do this stuff?

Users would love to see that happen. Obviously the use of VST plugins is
a great incentive for many musicians wishing to switch to Linux, so a
stable set of sources would be most welcome.

Best,

dp