[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Concerning libfst, vstserver, and dssi-vst

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 11 21:18:20 EDT 2005

>The VST-per-server implementation might not, but there's no very
>compelling reason not to have multiple VSTs in a single server serving
>multiple clients.  That would be less reliable than a dssi-vst type
>service can be, but no less reliable than fst, and it should scale
>nearly as well.  It's been on my todo list for ages...

i still don't think that scales. the cache might still be warm, since
the server is repeatedly invoked, but its still 2 context switches
per-plugin invocation, and i don't think this is reasonable over the
long haul. the point of a plugin is that "its just a function call
away", and whether its a context switch to the *same* server or N of
them, its still a context switch.