[linux-audio-user] /dev/? - cd-a-input and line-in

Maarten De Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Thu Apr 14 15:38:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

> I'm using ALSA on Fedora 2 and I want to ask how to capture da cd-audio
> input and line-in input separateley?

If your soundcard cannot to that (from Lee's post I understand some
can), you could also use cdparanoia to get the audio from the cd,
with a fifo in between.

I just tried:

  $ mkfifo cdout
  $ cdparanoia 1 cdout

and in another terminal window

  $ aplay cdout

This works fine.
Now, I think darkice can not read from anything that is not an alsa
or oss device... But I know ices2 can read from the stdin, so

  $ cat cdout | ices2 your_stdin_conf.xml

should work fine. (But ices2 is ogg-only)

I suppose hacking stdin input in darkice would be easy..

maarten