[linux-audio-user] Customizing linux audio live cds?

Iain Duncan iainduncan at telus.net
Sat Apr 16 01:26:24 EDT 2005

I'd like to be able to make an iso of a complete install including my
own software and data for csound, with the aim being a back up for gigs
should something go wrong. So ideally this would:

- detect any likely sound card properly
- ditto for midi
- have a low latency kernel
- have jack & some other misc alsa stuff
- create a reasonably sized ram disk in case I need to make some last
minute adjustments at the show.

I'd like to have the ability to quickly make a new version before each
show, so I want to be able to easily drop in some of my custom gig
software, along with csound5 plus my data and samples, and burn the cd.
Csound should be able to either use data files burnt on the cd, or
stored on the ramdisk in case adjustments were needed.

There seem to be plethora of live cd options. Can anyone suggest the
best course for the above? I normally use gentoo, but for the gig cd I
don't really care what it is as long as it's fast and clean and easy to
make. ( Ie a quick task that is done in a half hour before a show as a
back up. ) I don't even need xwindows really, just booting into runlevel
3 is fine, so if the live cd or utility allows that customization that
would be cool too. Being able to run a small LAN or vncserver would be
slick as well so that multiple machines can share the same monitor.

Thanks
Iain