[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 with Fedora Core 3

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Sun Apr 17 22:43:31 EDT 2005

> > Hmm, when I went to the Planet CCRMA website, it said "Install Fedora Core
> > 3.  You should now have a properly configured and working sound card.
> > Then install the CCRMA sound applications."  What's wrong with this
> > picture is that I don't have a properly configured and working sound card
> > after doing the Fedora Core 3 install.  It didn't recognize my Audiophile
> > 2496 as far as I can tell--it configured the onboard sound.  Can you tell
> > me more specifically what you did to get the Audiophile 2496 working?
>
> Just disable the onboard sound in the BIOS before you install.

An easy way to pick up the pieces from where you are is to:

Save /etc/modprobe.conf and leave a version of modprobe.conf that has the sound stuff edited out.

Go to /etc/sysconfig /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and do the same.

Shut down the machine and put in the audiophile if it's not already in.

Turn the machine back on and go directly to the bios and turn off the on-board sound that came with the motherboard.

Boot back into FC3 and let kudzu do it's thing (let it configure the new sound card).

Kudzu will have written new data to both of the above two files for the audiophile.

Save each of the new files for later.

Reboot the machine again and turn back on the on-board sound via the bios.

Boot FC3 again and if redhat's problem child dosen't see and configure the onboard sound into the system, you now have the data to merge it in yourself.

Please refer to the planet ccrma site to setup your modprobe.conf for two cards if you can.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installtwosix.html

Good luck!