[linux-audio-user] Re: Some Musikmesse 2005 videos about the Lionstracs Mediastation

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Apr 21 23:01:14 EDT 2005

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> This is so common problem in my Linux. Too often Xine wants
> dll files of MS Windows or of Mac or otherwise proprietary codecs.
>
> The format which works everywhere is the DVD-mpeg.
> It is then easy to burn the videos to DVDs.

Unfortunately mpeg2 (vob) are huge and too bulky for net
transfer. Ogg/Theora can be quite lean but not well supported,
yet, on winmac machines. I would use ffmpeg DivX for the
best compromise at this point in time. "kino" exports to
it natively straight from DV.

> Has anyone a list of open source codecs?

Not open source but a comprehensive list at least.

grep videocodec /usr/share/mplayer/codecs.conf | awk '{print $2}'

--markc