[linux-audio-user] MIDI exported from Cakewalk sounds horrible!

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Apr 22 12:54:46 EDT 2005

ross at jose.lug.udel.edu wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I used to use Cakewalk on a small Windows partition for composing
>work.  Now, I'm trying to take the midi files I'd exported from
>Cakewalk and play them using rosegarden/fluidsynth/pmidi.
>
>My songs sounds like a cacophony.  Things are so wrong - it sounds
>truely horrible.
>
>I downloaded some MIDI files from around the internet and they all
>play normally.  Is is possible Cakewalk has some SysEx events in there
>that pmidi/rosegarden are interpreting as notes?
>
>Cause damn.  I didn't write this stuff!

(sometimes accidents are the best composition tool you have!)

Seriously, I use Sonar daily (not the old cakewalk) and have imported
into Rosegarden with <pretty much> no problem. I say <pretty much>
because I do hear a difference in how the two realize the midi file --
they just sound different. Pitch bends are the easiest to notice. But,
I'm not saying one is right over the other. Sonar has some problem
playing wheel data -- especially in short midi pieces (the playback is
not consistent from playback to playback)

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124