[linux-audio-user] Ableton live user

Greg Wilder greg at gregwilder.com
Mon Apr 25 22:07:48 EDT 2005

Felipe Machado wrote:

>WHAT??!?!
>i dont believe !!!
>my question is "LOOKS LIKE" not the same !!!!!
>here in brasil have list about linux-audio www.estudiolivre.org
>they can tell for you about some thinks in linux !! they send me some
>softwares to use live. and we are development software to use. and
>working to use just free software in music production and we have a
>free studio. i send my question to this list just to see if is a good
>list. BUT DONT !!
>
>sorry for my english.
>
>i will unsubscribe this list.
>
>On 4/25/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 19:51 -0500, Levi D. Burton wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, but if your coming to linux thinking that you will find software
>>>of comparable performance to something such as Ableton Live, you are
>>>very mistaken.  Nothing on linux even comes close to Ableton Live and
>>>probably never will.
>>>
>>>Why not just use Ableton Live?  Save yourself a whole lot of trouble.
>>>
>>>Oh, and using linux audio software live?  I wouldn't.
>>>

>>Your response is idiotic.  Care to back it up with a shred of evidence,
>>asshole?
>>
>>To answer the original poster, there's nothing on Linux like ableton
>>live yet, but I'm sure there will be eventually.  At one point there was
>>nothing like it on Windows or Mac.
>>
>>There are plenty of people using Linux audio for live work, if correctly
>>set up it's more reliable than mac or windows.
>>
>>Lee

Felipe,

For what it's worth, this is a highly informative and friendly list -
contrary to the first response you received.

While there's not currently a specific application designed to function
like Ableton Live, there are many rock solid Linux-based options worth
your consideration.  For example, using an application like PD, it's
possible to design looping sample triggers with custom interfaces - and
it's quite easy to do.  Have a look at http://linux-sound.org/ to get a
taste of the audio possibilities open to performance minded Linux users.

And for the record.  I have been relying on Linux in professional (read:
this is how I make a living) live audio situations for several years.
Most of these situations involve clients running multi-million dollar
organizations.  If Linux failed me under these circumstances, I wouldn't
be writing to you on this list...

Greg Wilder
www.steeprockmedia.com