[linux-audio-user] Jacklaunch vs. asoundrc jack plugin

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 26 17:52:38 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 22:23, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> People who start to write an audio application have a
> difficult decicion to do: Which soundsystem to use?
> * A KDE programmer will make his application an artsd
> application

Which will be superseded in KDE 4.0 by a new layer which provides an abstract
interface for simplier Players (nothing really for pro-audio) and some kind
of detection and access to the underlying system. So by using the new system
(in about half to one year) you have a powerfull tool at your hands for
Chistoph's wish:

> What would really be useful would be some example code in the
> ALSA wiki showing how to create an application which is
> jackified but even can play and record via an ALSA DMIX
> device and optionally has further input/output plugins for
> esound, artsd and gstreamer. And which can automatically
> detect the audio subsystem to use *sigh* ;-) .

Christoph and everyone who doesn't believe my sayings: Most probably there
will be a talk at LinuxTag about the new multimedia-interface of KDE, given
by Matthias Kretz who is most likely the one with the deepest
aRts-understanding after Stefan Westerfeld...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe