[linux-audio-user] some Demudi problems

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 07:41:33 EDT 2005

Greetings:

  I recently installed AGNULA/Demudi on my laptop, replacing a perfectly
functional PlanetC RH9 installation. After getting over some initial
hurdles I now have an almost-fully functional Demudi 1.2.1. But of
course some problems remain:

    1) How can I permanently turn off the gkrellm stuff ? I don't need it.

    2) Latency on my Midsport 2x2 USB MIDI interface is wretched, making
the device totally unusable. It worked fine under RH9 and the 2.4
kernel. Is there some tuning required to lower latency for that device
under 2.6.12 ?

    3) I can't compile the Om synth, it dies wanting a devel package for
libgtkmm that appears to be unavailable from the sites in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Has anyone successfully compiled Om on Demudi 1.2.1 ?

    4) The virmidi problem remains. It appears to be a Demudi-related
problem. I'm willing to debug it as far as I can, but I've run out of
ideas. Modules handling in 2.6 is different enough from 2.4 to confuse
me, so if anyone knows of some arcane file that might be at fault,
please advise.

  The whole system feels much more sluggish than RH9/2.4, I'm especially
interested in any tips for improving performance with the 2.6.12 kernel.
My WM of choice on this machine is fluxbox, but I may try to use
Blackbox instead.

  Otherwise I really like the system, and it probably works sweetly on
more modern hardware than my PII 366 laptop. But I should at least get a
good MIDI system out of it, even on this hardware. Any & all
advice/suggestions will be vastly appreciated ! :)

Best regards,

dp