[linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Aug 1 08:00:51 EDT 2005

PhilJackson wrote:
> $ aconnect -o
> client 64: 'CS46XX' [type=kernel]
>     0 'CS46XX          '

This is the MIDI port of your sound card.  The cs46xx driver names it
"CS46XX" to differentiate it from any other MIDI ports you (might)
have.

You should be able to play to this port with

	aplaymidi -p 64:0 something.mid

(or pmidi instead of aplaymidi).  This port will also show up in your
sequencer application.

> When I did the aconnect -i and aconnect -o I didn't see any of the
> through-ports - bad sign?

No; you don't need any Through port unless you want to route MIDI data
in complicated ways.  If you really want it, you can load the
snd-seq-dummy module manually (newer versions of ALSA load it by
default).

HTH
Clemens