[linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Direction

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Aug 1 11:21:49 EDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 23:20, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:
> > You make it sound like a one way street all about the developer(s).
> > A "project" cannot survive without users. If users do not use the
> > software the developers are sweating over then that software project
> > will go nowhere and die. Every bit as much as us users leach the
> > efforts of developers is the developers need us as users or else
> > their efforts will come to nothing... they also need to pay homage
> > to their userbase... or another project, that does so, will succeed
> > in the long term and their baby will not.
>
> Extremely provocating rubbush!

I am talking about "projects" that both developers and users happen
to be associated with. I don't see what's provocative or in anyway
rubbishy about a statement like "a project cannot survive without
users".

If you develop software for your own needs then great, if some other
people also happen to use it then power be to your software... but I
hardly see how that software compares to major core code that the
rest of us totaly rely on... like the kernel, ALSA/JACK, X/desktops.

> In addtition to general generalisation, you make programmers seem like
> some mindless robots slaving for their users. Personally, I don't care
> very much whether my software is used. That does not matter. Its the fun
> of making new types of software, and that I need the software myself. If
> others like the software too, thats great!, but its normally not of very
> much importance for whether I keep developing or not.

And so goes your project(s). I wasn't talking about the kind of project
where someone like yourself does not care if anyone else uses your
sofware... that is not the backbone of the larger and really important
major projects we all absolutely depend on.

I'm talking about the survival, or not, of core projects that, if
successful, will be used by many MILLIONs of users in the next decade.
Some of the software we use today will become major international
institutions over the next 5 to 10 years... and I'm very sure the
current progeny that evolves and survives the next few years will be
the ones that are most end-user friendly.

--markc