[linux-audio-user] Hard disk housekeeping

John Mulholland johnmulholland at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 1 17:27:58 EDT 2005

I am in the process of setting up a system at home, and a thought just
struck me. When it comes to a CD the data written on the outer edge is
read faster, but only if there is a need for the drive to spin up to
full speed. But, whats the deal with a hard disk?

I have seperate partitions on my machine, and I can slide them about.
So, does it matter which partition is nearer the start of the drive.
Would it be better to have the system, or the samples? Would that change
depending on the sixe of the samples? Would any difference be noticable?
In fact, is there any sort of disk housekeeping recommended?

cheers,

john