[linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

PhilJackson pjfjacks at swbell.net
Mon Aug 1 21:15:47 EDT 2005

Hi Christoph,

>let me summarize:
>
>* JACK runs well on top of your card. Did you try if audio
>output via any JACK application works? I'd try playing an mp3
>or ogg file with xmms via its JACK output plugin. But
>currently you try to get MIDI working so this isn't urgent

    Now that is an interesting question!   I usually download/play mp3s
    using alsaplayer, which seems the default.  Xine usually plays my
    CDs.  When I open up XMMS with nothing else running except
    browser and email client and go to  Preferences / Audio - IO plugins,
     I see Alsa,DiskWriter, eSound, and OSS as options.   No mention of
    Jack.  I am quite newbie enough to not know if there is a sequence
    of operations - i.e this has to be already running and that has to be
    running....would think things should instantiate themselves as needed.

>* The Card appears in ALSA as a writable MIDI port, correct?

    I think it is 64:0 CS46XX.

>* If so you should test if MIDI goes out of the card. The
>simplest way to do so is running something like vkeybd, an
>onscreen MIDI keyboard. If you haven't it install, please try
>installing it.

    I looked, and my package manager doesn't have anything like
    that.  pmidi or rosegarden should be able to send MIDI to the
    card....

>* It is important to know that Linux has very flexible MIDI
>routing abilities thanks to the ALSA sequencer. OTOH, this
>means that MIDI applications usually don't connect
>automatically. Use qjackctl, Connections, MIDI to connect the
>vkeybd to the MIDI out port of your card.
>
>* Use the mouse or the computer keyboard to play some notes.
>Does the Soundcanvas receive MIDI data?

    Yes, it seems that it does.  Maybe I have an unfortunate mix
    of hardware / software?

    thanks,
    Phil J.