[linux-audio-user] newbie with muse, ams and om

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Tue Aug 2 17:44:25 EDT 2005

Hi Atte,

On Sunday 31 Jul 2005 21:33, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to sequence a few tracks in muse using ams and/or om. I
> started two instances of ams with "ams -j" and loaded a different patch
> in each. I also started om and om_gtk, and loaded two different patches.
>   Audio out from the synths are routed to the alsa_pcm input.
>
> Now, I have the following problems:
>
> 1) If I select the two different om patches output is distorted when
> *both* patches are sounding. If one is ams an the other om sound is also
> distorted, but if I route it through jamin the sound is ok. Routing both
> om synths through jamin is still distorting...
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to just route multible synths the the alsa_pcm
> or should they be mixed somewhere?

It should work just fine. Are you sure it's not just a problem of volume? Two
synths make more noise than one, eventually they will saturate the output.

> 2) I only see one output named "ams" in the O-Port in the track list. In
> the "Midi Port/Soft Synth" dialog how ever, I see 7 grayed out
> occurences of the name "ams".
>
> Am I doing something wrong or isn't it possible to run multible
> instances of ams from midi?

Seven grayed out ams synths seem a bit exessive. However the last stable MusE
does gray out all but one if they have identical names. The latest prerelease
tries to work around this.
Best is if ams supports changing it's alsa name. Then you can name the
different instances with unique names.

Regards,
Robert

--