[linux-audio-user] newbie with muse, ams and om

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Aug 3 05:08:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:02:24 +0000
Steve Fosdick <lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> On 31/07/05 22:15:45, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> >
> > > Shouldn't it be possible to just route multible synths the
> > > the alsa_pcm or should they be mixed somewhere?
> >
> > Theoretically it should work.
>
> Is this just a level problem?  If you route two signals to the
> same alsa pcm is it simply summing them (A+B) or is it
> doing (A+B)/2?  If it is doing the first then if the two signals
> are each normalised before being sent then the resulting sum must
> be clipping.

It does the first [simply summing]. Every other way of mixing would be
stupid (I don't want my mix to be ruined simply because i connect
another jack client). Of course it can clip if the sum of the two
signals is too hot. Like in a real world mixer. To avoid that, turn down
the level in either each of the jack clients, or use a mixer app (and
turn down the levels there).

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!