[linux-audio-user] Acid-Gigasampler-Vegas-Audio Mastering

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Aug 4 13:55:26 EDT 2005

Mehmet Okonsar wrote:

>3-is there a Vegas alternative with audio and video multitrack effects
>etc..?

Nothing that I know of is of the same caliber as Vegas.
It'd be nice to get this running on linux.

>4-how any reverb, dynamic processing and EQ plugins in Linux compare with
>the most professional (i.e. expensive) audio plugins? How one can compare
>them with the acoustic modeling reverb, "Ozone" suite of mastering tools,
>"Waves" mastering tools and dithering?

I use Waves plugins quite a bit, and I haven't found anything quite
extensive - or I should as deep within each plugin - on linux.
But, there are plugins that you can use. Here's some places to get
started looking:

LADSPA - For more about LADSPA: http://www.ladspa.org/
- http://plugin.org.uk/
- http://quitte.de/dsp/pvoc.html
- http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio/

See Dave's nice writeup:
http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/02/02/ladspa.html

Some have been able to get VST plugins to work in Linux. Some work ok,
some not at all. To me, it seems a bit of a black art to get it
working... though I have in a limited way. Others can tell you more.
See: http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/
See Dave's tutorial here:
http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/vst-plugins/

>If anyone has experience in Windows-Mac audio mastering and Linux I'll be
>grateful to read his-hers thoughts and comparisons. Thanks in advance.

for mastering, check out jamin: http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html

In general, the quantity and quality of Linux audio apps are far below
the professional apps found on win and mac. That said, there are a few
that are pretty good - like ardour, snd, rosegarden, jamin, ecasound,
jack (not an app per se, but should be mentioned).

Another important note is that what comes with these apps is linux. That
may sound somewhat backwards, but I'll give you an example. I had
problems with SoundForge's new batch converter in v8.0 (I went around
and around with Sony support. And, after 2 weeks, they finally admitted
it was a bug in their code.) In the meantime, I found some plugins that
would do the job - not as good as waves, but adequate for what I was
doing. I wrote a bash script to process the files and delivered to
client. Worked out fine. To do something like this on windows would be
tough -- simply because many win apps don't also run in command line
mode. No problem on linux.

Good luck.

--
Brad Fuller