[linux-audio-user] what distro do you use?

Salvatore Di Pietro salvuz_78 at virgilio.it
Fri Aug 5 07:37:27 EDT 2005

Frode Haugsgjerd wrote:
> søn, 17,.07.2005 kl. 18.58 +0200, skrev paniq at paniq.org:
>
>>a simple poll for your ml people here:
>>
>>a.) what (linux) distribution do you use?

Slackware 10.1, kernel 2.6.12 (vanilla and rt+preempt) handrolled.

>>b.) does the distribution that you use supply a lot of audio-related packages
>>by default?

Hmmm... no, almost everything compiled from sources. :)

salvuz at slack101-sal:~$ ls /var/log/packages/|grep sal|wc
185

Almost all audio and video packages and libraries.

>>c.) do you consider the distribution that you use to be notably adequate for
>>audio production? why?

I think every distribution, once its kernel and packages are well
configured, can be adequate for audio production.
I prefer starting from a Slackware system because of its robustness and
simplicity in tailoring it to your needs, and IMHO it's easier to add,
remove, modify, repackage, test packages... once acquainted with the
absence of dependency checking... :) ,but I must say once you have built
and installed the "base dependencies" (libsndfile, fftw, libsamplerate,
..., etc) it's not that nightmare, if you want to put your hands under
the hood (but if you want you can use "thir party" tools to manage
dependencies, such as swaret or slapt-get...)
I like the "keep it simple" philosophy I feel in Slackware.
But again, I really think every distribution, once its kernel and
packages are well configured, can be adequate for audio production.
Naturally, the more complex it is, the more work has to be done on it,
the more "straightforward for common user" it will be, but this applies
to any distro, IMHO...

> I can run ardour/jack reliably with my old sblive at 5,3ms latency, and have Ubuntu's
> polished desktop.

Same here, but... Have you ever suffered the "occasional crackling
problem" I posted here and on jackit-devel ?

ciao
--
           salvuz
      POST FATA RESVRGO