[linux-audio-user] usb-Firewire-mLAN

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 09:46:44 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 07:25:04 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 08:05 +0300, Mehmet Okonsar wrote:
> > How far audio devices using USB-FireWire are supported?
> > Do major runners like Rosegarden,Ardour, Muse.. plan to support Yamaha's
> > mLan, which is supposed to be an "open" standard?
>
> mLan is not an open standard at this point in time. Yamaha have
> continued to refuse to make available the information required for an
> open source implementation, even though they say they will.

Actually, they did some time ago: http://mlanalsa.sourceforge.net/
The specs were provided by yamaha, but I cant see what licence its under
from a first glance.

Unortunatly it doesnt help that mLAN devices are expensive, comapred to
BeBob style 1394 devices, which linux also supports, with a driver at the
early stages of development.

- Steve