[linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

pjfjacks pjfjacks at swbell.net
Fri Aug 5 21:09:17 EDT 2005

Lee,

I never saw a MPU-401 port at all.  A post a few days ago established the
fact that ALSA does not support the hardware synth on this card.  Playing
MIDI appears to be dependant upon getting MIDI generated via software on the
Linux machine routed through the soundcard to the external sound canvas, the
audio output of the sound canvas being routed back through the soundcard and
to the speakers and also able to be captured by some software on the Linux
machine to be recorded.  Is anything Jack-related needed to do this?  I have
been told both yes and no, perhaps due to my lack of clarity in explaining
what is needed to be accomplished.  I've tried running Rosegarden and then
Starting qjackctl and since my large blunder it cannot start the Jack server
at all (until I do the reinstall).

Thanks!

Phil

Because you never said that you tried connecting Rosegarden's outputs to
the MPU-401 port in qjackctl and playing back a midi file with
Rosegarden and it didn't work.

Lee