[linux-audio-user] Again on sudden and occasional Jack crackling sound

Salvatore Di Pietro salvuz_78 at virgilio.it
Tue Aug 9 12:00:48 EDT 2005

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 22:33 -0400, Michal Seta wrote:
>
>>Salvatore Di Pietro <salvuz_78 at virgilio.it> writes:
>>

>>>As you may have read in my previous post, it doesn't work anymore for
>>>me as of jack 0.100.0... does it work for you?
>

> many people do not realize that buffer resizing is not compiled into
> JACK by default. you must use --enable-resize to get it present in a
> version that you build from source.

No, no, I know that. I know buffer resizing isn't compiled in by
default. I explicitely asked to ./configure to enable-resize.
jack_bufsize (as of jackd 0.100.0) doesn't say "unimplemented function",
but gives the error I wrote in the other post...

I tried also to compile jackd without buffer resizing facility, but the
crackling sound problem is still there, along 4 different machines whit
different cards, chipsets, kernel, ALSA and jack versions... :(

I don't have a clue why it happens... Noticed that using jack_bufsize
restores clean sound... Maybe something goes wrong in alsa_pcm:playback
buffer read/write?

ciao
--
           salvuz